So we all at one point or another, have looked into our closets, and said “I don’t have anything to wear.” When in fact, we just don’t have the right things to wear. I learned this little detail from my husband. Who (poor guy) has to endure my meltdowns of not knowing what to wear. He told me one day to just take everything I don’t wear out of my closet. Once I did it, it was clear I wasn’t buying the right things.
I’ve always had this habit of buying what was in style, rather than those clothing items that I know I’d wear no matter the weather or the year. So I gathered all these clothes and decided to sell them and put the money towards a brand new wardrobe. There are so many apps, sites and even stores that you can do this on. Although you won’t necessarily get much at the store (ex. Plato’s Closet), it’s always better than nothing. You may have more luck on apps like Poshmark or sites like eBay. Remember, one person’s trash, is another person’s treasure.
Here are the apps/sites/stores you should try out:
1. Poshmark – This site is a hit or miss. You have to constantly share, like, and follow to get any attention. When I say hit or miss, I mean there will be months where you won’t make a sale, and other times, you’ll get more than one sale in the same week. You can get pretty good money, but remember Poshmark has to make some money too, so they will take a percentage, which isn’t much at all. If you list something for say $15, you’re going to get $11 in your pocket.
2. Depop – This is growing more and more in popularity. I did make an account, but haven’t really tried it out yet, but I hear great things about it. If you give it a try, let me know!
3. eBay – Who doesn’t know and love eBay? The great thing about eBay is that it attracts people all over the world. You’re bound to make a sale within the same week.
4. Plato’s Closet – These are scattered all around the country, so if you have one nearby give it a try. I would use this as a last resort. If you’re having trouble selling online and you’re just sick of hanging onto the items, take them here. Again, you won’t get much, but still something.
5. Clothing Revival – This is more specifically for people who live in Sacramento. This place is located off of Laguna. Again, you won’t get much. This should be your last option.
There is always the option of donating. However, the purpose of this post, is to give you ways to sell the clothes you don’t wear anymore and use that money for a brand new wardrobe.